A Covenant

The national context right now leaves me deeply troubled. We cannot deal with one another. We condemn one another. We mock one another. We judge one another, feeling completely justified because we know the other side has lost all credibility. It hurts to see so many being so hurtful.

I can do nothing about any of it. I have my opinions as to what is right, what is just, and how progress could be made, but they are just that—opinions. They will change nothing at the national level.

But what I can do is use this episode to spur how I respond to the people right here with me. So, I make this covenant…

First, if any woman, child, or man comes to me with a tale of abuse, I will listen. They need to space and time to express their experience. They need compassion, grace, mercy, and acceptance to heal. I can offer them these necessary things.

Second, I will report any abuse or abuser for response. All protection policies mandate this action. I commit to being responsible to see to it policies are enforced. 

Third, I will treat any other person with the dignity and respect they deserve simply for being human. No person is an object. No person is a tool for my agenda. No person is my plaything. No person is beneath compassion. They are human beings, fearfully and wonderfully made. They are treasures. I will treat them so.

Fourth, I will care for my own person. I will not abuse alcohol or drugs, placing myself in danger either from outside persons or from self-harm. I will tend my emotional and mental well-being so as not to open myself to temptations to try that which I think will alleviate my own emptiness. A more becoming-whole person will not as likely abuse themselves or others.

Fifth, I will seek help when I know I am in over my head. Tending my holistic health requires help beyond my own abilities. That means seeking doctors, counselors, and other professionals. I will seek it so as to be better among others and better able to care for my self.

Finally, I will tend my connection to God, for it is in that connection that come the insights, wisdom, and tools by which to fulfill all of the above commitments. To love my neighbor as I love myself, I need to bind myself to God. 

This, then, is the only way I know to respond to the current moment. It is shrinking my focus to the area where I actually live. That is where I can be effective and effect change.

I pray that more of us will do so because the more of us who work to change our immediate contexts, the more the global context will change by increment upon increment of transformation.

Comments

Popular Posts