Election Day Blues

For I know that my Redeemer lives, and that at the last he will stand upon the earth...
                                                              --Job 19:25

There is one universal this weekend before Election Day--we cannot wait for the end of the election--Republican, Democrat, Unitarian, man, woman, child--the end is near--THANKS BE TO GOD!

This cycle has been a hallmark of cynicism, fear-mongering, vile commentary, partisanship, and all else that would lead us to believe that we are at a nadir in our communal life. November 9 looms out there as a cause of great anxiety--no matter who wins, one side is going to rise in chaos against the result. We see only darkness.

Job meets us on our ash heaps of despair.

Job uttered the above statement at the height of his misery--at the height! He literally lost everything--property, family, and health. His friends were not friends--they kept trying to assign him blame for his misery, refusing to simply sit and listen to him. Yet, as things could get no worse, he finds reason for hope. He shouts the above statement in direct response to his misery. It will not hold him. It will not keep him. It will not diminish him. 

I am a Cubs fan. I hear Job. I understand Job.

For over a century, we dwelt in darkness, in the outer oblivion of haplessness. Then came our redemption even as our manager sought to snatch it from our grasp (who pulls a cruising starting pitcher after 62 pitches?). After a blessed rain, the Cubs got their three outs and were champions--champions--THE CUBS! 

See? Even futile hope can be realized.

Tomorrow is already in the hands of God.

Keep that thought in mind as we enter the coming week. 

During the last few days, I stopped reading my news feeds with any great depth, save for the local news. I couldn't take it. DOOM! MAYHEM! ANNIHILATION! The election will end in chaos. It was if every national editorial board decided that the best way to report was to slide completely over into hyperbole. The more frightening the pundit, the bigger the headline. I tuned out.

Instead, I began to watch people. As I drove to the office, I watched the young moms jogging with their strollers along the bike path next to the street. As my own morning run took me past an elementary school, I watched the children gather, smiling, playing, and carrying on as only children can. As I drank my coffee, I watched folks gathering to have friendly conversation, conduct their business, or share an espresso with their life partner of several decades. In the grocery, I watched folks gather the goods for meals to come, and, by the look of it, some of those would be well past November 9. The streets have been no less busy at rush hour. Preachers are planning their Advent sermons.

In short, in the real world, folks are still folks.

And we are all in the hands of God who constantly and continually breathes through us, Be still and know that I am God. 

Our Redeemer lives. 

God is not going anywhere. God stands upon the earth.

All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

No matter what happens.

That is the power of our faith, the promise of our faith, and the hope of our faith. Stop by church and get a fix.

Blessings to all.

Comments

Popular Posts